February 25, 2011

Back to the Blog

I can't believe how long it has been since I have posted anything. Although, during the winter months all I can think about is gymnastics. State was one week ago and the girls did amazing, considering all we have been through this year. Of our 11 girls on Varsity there were only two who did not have an injury this year. Two girls tore their ACL's and the other seven had serious sprained ankles. So keeping that in mind the team finished 3rd. Also, one of our girls won Floor and another won Bars (she was the one with an ACL tear). So all in all, a great State meet. While my mind is already planning for next year, I am grateful to have my weekends and evenings back!

I have so much to post. Casey is growing by leaps and bounds. Just a quick recap. At his 6 month check up he weighed just over 18 lbs and was 25 inches long.

He is sitting up by himself, and is getting more mobile by the day. He is able to scoot backwards on his tummy. He is rolling from back to front and front to back. and just this week he started lifting his tummy up off the floor without something behind his feet (almost like a "downward dog" yoga pose). Then only this morning did he bring his knees up underneath him in a true crawling position. Of course when I brought out the camera he wouldn't repeat it! He is sitting in a real stroller now without the infant carrier. In fact, we are going to have to buy a new car seat soon as he is out growing his infant seat.

We have started teething. The bottom right tooth, or the "P" tooth as Mike calls it, has erupted through the gum and is getting more prominent every day. The lower left tooth is just started to break through the gum line, I am not sure if that is "Q" or "O." Teething truly is an experience because it has messed with his sleeping habits and brings about random cries and big alligator tears. He is our little goof ball, because forget the teething rings, he likes socks! He will find a sock or remove one from his foot and chew on it for a bit, then once he finds a good spot in his mouth he just keeps his jaws clamped down while he finds a toy to play with. It is so funny when he looks up from playing and just had a random sock hanging out of his mouth.

Two weeks ago we had our first fever and it was a good one at 103.3. Bring on the Tylenol and cold compresses. It was a couple of sleepless nights for all of us. We just kept him home and monitored him, lots of rest, cuddles and mom time. His fever broke within two days and he was no worse for wear. The two best things that came out of our first fever...an ear thermometer (while a rectal temp is the most accurate, I soon realized it is not worth waking up a sleeping baby for a temp) and Tylenol suppositories. My pediatrician suggested them after I called because of Casey's fever and also because he kept spitting up the oral Tylenol. Also, children's medication taste AWFUL! I can't believe the manufacturers put it on the market that way. I had bought the "Little Fevers" brand and it made me gag when I tasted it. We liked the suppositories the best, they were no fuss and I didn't have to worry about him spitting the dose back out. They melt pretty quickly in a warm environment...I know what you are thinking. He loaded his diaper about 30 minutes after I gave a dose and there weren't any traces of suppository and his fever stayed down. Anyway...I liked them, definitely worth a try!

He is eating all sorts of solid food, avacados, applesauce, pears, sweet potatoes, squash, peas, green beans, and bananas. So far I have made all of his food, and I have found that I really enjoy making it. I received a "Ninja" blender for my birthday and after steaming or baking the fruit/veggies it does a nice job pureeing. I then pour the puree into ice cube trays and freeze it. Our next foods will be yams, yogurt, yellow squash, and zucchini. We try one new food a week, but I like to have the foods on hand and ready to make. He is starting to really get the chewing motion down now.
 
Next week we start a baby swim class. It doesn't really teach them anything, just rather allows them to get in and comfortable with the water. We are excited because he LOVES  bath time. I take him in the bath and fill the tub with more water and he and I sit and splash. He likes to lay back while I hold his head and "float" on the water. He always gets a big grin when I rinse his hair and puts his head back, he is such a big boy.

He is very active in his play and is able to manipulate all types of toys. It has been fun to watch how his play seemed random and now he seems to have so much more purpose with the toys he picks up. He has learned object permanence.  Now when he throws/drops a toy he will look down for it, knowing that it should be there. Balls are one of his go to toys. In fact, he is very intrigued by balls. We were reading a book the other day about colors. There was a picture of a basketball on the orange page. He got so excited and kept scratching at it as if to say "I should be able to pick you up, you are supposed to be round." Golf balls are a new favorite...small enough that he can palm them...big enough that they won't fit in his mouth. Don't worry we encourage other toys as well!

So that is a quick recap...I have Christmas to post and a lot of pictures so I will get working on that. But I wanted to at least get something going.


More to come soon...I promise!

1 comment:

  1. I just saw your FB post...I didn't know you blogged! Love looking at the adorable pics of your little boy. What a cute family you have!

    ReplyDelete